Crispy Tofu Rice Bowls with Thai Peanut Sauce
Branched out a little with this one, but we both really liked it!
Source: Coffee and Quinoa
For the tofu:
- 16 oz extra firm tofu, sliced into small triangles
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- about 2 Tbsp high-heat oil such as safflower or canola oil
For the peanut sauce:
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce (also called kecap manis, such as ABC brand)
- 2.5 Tbsp creamy peanut butter*
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp red Thai curry paste
- steamed rice
- steamed broccoli
- sliced green onions
- chopped peanuts
To make the crispy tofu:
- Mix together the cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Coat each tofu triangle in the mixture and set on a plate. (Also: you can skip the cornstarch and salt if you prefer; the result won't be as crispy but will still be delicious.)
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil and, once hot, add tofu triangles. (You will want to do this in batches so that the pieces don't touch each other.) Fry until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Remove to a plate covered in paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining tofu, using 2 teaspoons of oil per batch.
To make the peanut sauce:
- Blend together all ingredients. Warm in the microwave or on the stove before serving.
- Layer bowls with rice, broccoli, and crispy tofu. Top with peanut sauce, green onions, and chopped peanuts. Enjoy!