Friday, May 14, 2010

Grand Cayman: Part 3

Grand Cayman: Part 3

And for the final installation of my Grand Cayman recap, here are my picks for Overall Experience.

#1. DECKERS
ph - 345.945.6600

Decker's was kind of a last minute decision. We were mainly picking places on the water, and Decker's is not only opposite the beach, but it looks like a restaurant you could find anywhere. But then, when you walk in, you realize there is a lot more to it than originally meets the eye. A double-decker bus (hence the name) makes up the bar, and the largest fan in Grand Cayman (and probably one of the largest in the world!) keeps patrons cool and comfortable.

Here's the double-decker bar:


The Mr. got the mixed grill - a daily special - that consisted of grilled steak, fish, and chicken. And you know what he raved about most? The vegetables and accompanying sauce!



I got the lobster ravioli, which was equally fantastic. A flavorful, rich sauce, and a whole lobster tail too!



Final Verdict: Don't let the exterior of Decker's fool you. It's quite the place to eat. The food is amazing, the live music is perfect background music, and I can almost guarantee that you'll be pleased.

#2. COCONUT JOES
ph - 345.943.5637

Coconut Joes is basically just a bar and grill. And I wasn't expecting it to be much more than that. We ate here our very first night in Grand Cayman. We had traveled all day and were excited to check out our first restaurant while honeymooning, but we didn't feel like getting too dressed up and diving into anything too fancy. So we picked Coconut Joes. And I'm so glad we did!

The Mr. ordered grouper, and look how beautiful it is:


And to think we got this at bar and grill! Wow! And it tasted as good as it looks!

I got the "BIG" Salad. Crunchy, crisp lettuce in a tortilla bowl, topped with cajun grouper and plenty of toppings. One of the best salads I ever had. Maybe I was just excited to be on vacation. But I will tell you, it was so good!

Oh, and those Sols are $3 Mexican Night specials...


Final Verdict: Everyone needs an inexpensive, casual option once in a while. Most of the time, I like to mix it up between fancy places and comfortable, laid-back places. Make this one of your laid-back choices. You'll love it!

#3. AL FRESCO
ph - 345.947.2525
Seven Mile Beach

We had Al Fresco delivered to our condo through a local delivery service. Once we realized that some of the best "tables" were right outside our condo on the beach, we figured we'd dine there and have the food brought to us! What a smart choice. We were content as can be eating on the beach. And Al Fresco didn't disappoint either.

Here's what I ordered: The Seafood Pizza.


And The Mr. got the Cajun Red Snapper with rice, veggies, plantains, and even a slice of banana bread!


Final Verdict: I can't review the actual restaurant of Al Fresco, but I've heard good things about it. The food was great and if anything, do what we did -- order out!

#4. YOSHI SUSHI
website
ph - 945.943.YOSH
Seven Mile Beach

Another beach picnic! Mango Roll, California Roll, and egg rolls made up our dinner tonight. We loved the whole meal!

Final Verdict: Again, I can't attest to the restaurant, but we loved the food!

#5. EATS CAFE
ph - 945.943.EATS
Falls Shopping Center
Seven Mile Beach

EATS has been around for a long time. It's changed its look recently (and my personal opinion is that it's a little too modern now), but it still serves great diner food. I didn't get any pictures of the food this time around, but I had an excellent Ole Guacamole Bacon Burger and The Mr. had the Crispy Buffalo Ranch Grill - a chicken sandwich. We both left full... and happy.


Final Verdict: EATS is a great place for lunch (or dinner), but I hear their biggest draw is their breakfast. Plus, it's a Grand Cayman must-do. Go for breakfast, or if you're like The Mr. and I and aren't huge breakfast-eater-outers, go for lunch. I'd recommend it as a dinner spot last, unless you really just need to grab something fast.

1 comment:

  1. Grand Cayman are my favorite ones. Grand Cayman is a little better than the other two. If you are a wine or beer lover, Cayman bars will not let you come back without quenching your thirst. I enjoyed my holiday season there with my small family of four.

    ReplyDelete