Monday, March 19, 2012

Turkey Empanadas


Turkey Empanadas

Serves 4.

Yeah, yeah.  Go ahead.  Make fun of me for that ugly slit in the middle of my empanada. Well maybe if the recipe had instructed me to let the turkey mixture cool before trying to assemble the empanada on the pie crust, it wouldn't have happened.  But instead, the hot mixture "burned" right through, faster than I could assemble.  It still tasted great... the wow factor, though, was definitely lost. 
Source: Real Simple

3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 pound ground turkey
onion, chopped
clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted olives
kosher salt and black pepper
refrigerated rolled piecrusts, halved

Heat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, onion, garlic, and cumin and cook, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the raisins and olives; season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. ***Let mixture cool!

Top the 4 piecrust halves with the turkey mixture; fold in half and seal the edges. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This made me giggle. I hate stuff like that! But I'm sure it was still delicious. Empanadas have been on my to make list for awhile!

    ReplyDelete