Monday, April 15, 2013

Apple-Cinnamon Baked Overnight Oatmeal


Apple-Cinnamon Baked Overnight Oatmeal

Makes 13x9.

I loved this baked oatmeal.  I was a little thrown off by the overnight soak, because I had never done one and didn't know what to think about soaking the oats in vinegar.  Eek!  I still don't know if it's a necessary step, but I will do it again in the future since the overall result was so tasty.  This is definitely a breakfast favorite for me.  
Slightly adapted from: Serenity HHW


6 cups thick rolled oats
1/2 cup acid, such as whey or raw apple cider vinegar (I used 1/4 cup yogurt and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar)
8 cups water
1/2 cup butter, lightly melted (I reduced to 5 T.)
2 cups whole milk (I used 1 cup whole, 1 cup 1%)
6 eggs (I reduced to 5, and will probably only use 4 next time)
1/2 cup sugar  (I used 1/4 white sugar and 1/4 brown sugar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 apple, diced finely or shredded
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (I sprinkled about 1/2 cup on top)

Combine oats, acid, and water in a big bowl. Cover and let soak overnight.


In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Drain the oats through a fine sieve. Rinse and allow to drain again.


In a big mixing bowl, whisk together butter, milk, eggs, sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Add oats and mix well. Add the apples, and coconut and mix in gently.


Transfer to a greased 9” x 13” baking dish.  Smooth the top, and sprinkle with coconut. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


Remove from oven to a cooling rack.  Serve in bowls with some milk added. Or as an oatmeal bar with maple syrup and fresh fruit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment