Friday, June 18, 2010

CA Coast: Orange County & Los Angeles

CA Coast: Orange County & Los Angeles

All good things must come to an end. We had a wonderful trip traveling the California Coast, and ended our time in the Orange County and Los Angeles areas.

Driving from Santa Barbara, we stopped at the Santa Monica Farmer's Market, Venice Beach, and then down to Huntington Beach.

We stopped at Duke's for a late lunch.

DUKE'S HUNTINGTON BEACH
317 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA
ph - 714.374.6446

Because the main dining room was closed for lunch and not yet open for dinner, we grabbed a seat in the Barefoot Bar, and both started out with a caesar salad.


For lunch, the Mr. ordered the Baja Fish Tacos:


And I got the Poke Rolls, raw ahi, sweet onions, sauteed in rice paper.


Yum, yum, yum! We both really enjoyed Duke's. The atmosphere was fun -- a little touristy, but lively -- and the food was fantastic. I would be more than happy ordering exactly as I did this time if I ever return.

On our second day in the Newport Beach area, we visited the Beachcomber Cafe, a quaint little restaurant right on the beach.

BEACHCOMBER CAFE
No. 15 Crystal Cove
Newport Beach, CA
ph - 949.376.6900

Here's what it looks like when you're walking in:


A big back deck right on the ocean!


The Mr.'s lunch: A tuna melt!


And The Little Lady's lunch: A flatbread pizza with figs, roasted red peppers, and bacon.


Again, we were dealing with cool, cloudy weather, so the vibe at the Beachcomber was definitely different than had it been hot and sunny. I would've loved to have spent the whole afternoon there -- laying out on the beach and sipping island cocktails. But, alas, I suppose we'll have to return another, warmer day.

Our last full day was spent in the city of L.A. We did some sight-seeing and ate lunch in Hollywood, at the Pig & Whistle.

PIG & WHISTLE
6714 Hollywood Blve.
Hollywood, CA
website
ph - 323.463.0000

The Pig & Whistle opened in the 1920s and was popular with stars with Shirley Temple. How fun!


I must have been starved this day, because I ordered this burger and cleaned my plate. Not a french fry, burger bite, or crumb remained! It was delicious!


And The Mr. had the Philly cheesesteak. I had a bite and thought it was average, but maybe I was just overly-consumed with my burger. :)


So that was our trip to California! I hope you enjoyed salivating over what we thought was great food in great places on a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment