Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Granola Bars: Revisited

Granola Bars: Revisited

Makes 14-18 bars, depending on how you cut them.

I spent a lot of time figuring out my first granola bar recipe. But I still wasn't completely satisfied. So I kept playing around with it, and I think I've finally hit the jackpot. The recipe isn't all that different. But the technique slightly is. These bars are soft, but not crumbly. They're delicious, but still carry some healthy ingredients. And anything homemade is just better than anything out of box.

3 c. heaping oats
3/4 c. wheat germ
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
1 c. chocolate chips (reduce if desired)
3 eggs
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9 baking pan.

Combine oats, wheat germ, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl. Create a well in the center; add egg, peanut butter, honey, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Add chocolate chips; mix well, using your hands if necessary.

Transfer mixture to the baking pan; spread evenly.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not overbake.

Let cool completely in pan. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.


2 comments:

  1. I'll be making these on Saturday. I'm so glad I found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I bet Cort (and Jeff!) will love them! :) CJ can't enough! And thanks! I'm glad I found yours, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete