Friday, October 23, 2009

Cinnamon Stick Candle Holders

Cinnamon Stick Candle Holders

Just another project I got involved with while The Mr. was away...

tea light/votive candle holders
6" cinnamon sticks
hot glue gun
hot glue sticks
raffia or twine

What I used:
5 glass candle holders, (3) were 5-1/2" tall, (2) were 3-1/2" tall
(4) 6-oz. packages of cinnamon sticks (approx. 17-19 sticks per candle holder)
raffia
hot glue gun and glue


I found my candle holders on the clearance rack at Tuesday Morning. Not only were they cheap, but they were perfect for this project. At just the right height for 6" cinnamon sticks (which I found, also very cheap, at Drug Mart), they were designed so that the candle sat a few inches up from the bottom. This isn't a huge detail, but I liked how it would allow more flickering light to escape.
Using your glue gun, attach the cinnamon sticks to the outside of the candle holder. Hot glue will make this project that much easier. You can try to substitute a different type of glue, but believe me when I tell you that you will appreciate the immediately bonding and lasting hold of hot glue. You can pick one up at Target for less than $5. It's worth it.

For my shorter candle holders, I broke off some ends of the cinnamon sticks to make them more appropriately sized.

After the sticks are glued all the way around the candle holder, you are ready to add the raffia. Another nice thing about hot glue is that it dries so fast. No need to let the glue dry before moving on to your next step.

Okay, enough about my praises for hot glue.

Wrap the raffia around a few times, finishing with a bow. Or you can just knot it. Or do whatever else you feel inclined to do. Wrap some higher; wrap some lower. There's no right or wrong here.

Add tea lights or votives and you're good to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment