Friday, October 16, 2009

Dad's Favorite Granola

Dad's Favorite Granola

My dad has always been a granola lover. Well, mainly cereal in general. I have memories of him eating cereal as "dessert" after dinner. I always thought it was strange, but now I find myself doing the exact same thing. The Mr. probably thinks I'm the strange one now! One year, for Christmas, I gave him this homemade version to enjoy. He loved it, so I try to make it from time to time. Most recently, I whipped up a batch for Boss's Day (today, October 16), because, well, he's my boss! And he's an amazing one at that! I'm a lucky employee.

I have adapted this recipe from the original, Megan's Favoirte Granola, on AllRecipes.com.

7 c. rolled oats
1-1/4 c. wheat germ
1-1/4 c. oat bran
2-3 c. mixed nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc.)

3/4 c. honey
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 c. vegetable oil
1-1/2 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 t. cinnamon

2-3 c. dried frut (raisins, cranberries, dates, etc.)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with foil.
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
In a saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining ingredients besides dried fruit (honey through cinnamon). Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir throughout dry ingredients until evenly distributed and fully coated. Spread mixture between two baking sheets.

Bake for 19-20 minutes, stirring halfway through and rotating baking sheets from top and bottom racks.

Cool. Stir in dried fruit.

A Note From The Little Lady: If you don't use rolled oats often and are buying them specifically for this recipe, there is a 18-oz. oats container out there that has just under 7 c.; feel free to use that.

No comments:

Post a Comment