Monday, October 26, 2009

The Quilt, Part 1

The Quilt, Part 1

About 2 years ago, I decided to make a quilt. The Mr. and I were in a long-distance relationship at the time, so many of our weekends were spent driving to see each other. Since he was in med school, I went to him most of the time. Now, as you may expect, The Mr. had a lot of studying to do, so even when I was in town visiting for the weekend, it didn't mean that he was exempt from his responsibilities as a student. There were many a Saturday afternoon that I busied myself with puzzles, books, Spider Solitaire, you name it! That's when the little lightbulb in my head went off! I should make a quilt! By hand! And work on it diligently as The Mr. studies for hours on end!

So off I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics. I was determined to keep costs low, and since I've always liked the look of a patchwork quilt, I headed to the scrap bins. I pulled out a number of fabrics that I thought would work together, added some needles, scissors, and quilting thread to my basket, and purchased my new project.

For whatever reason, the quilting didn't take off like I'd hoped. I worked on it the first weekend, leaving it there to resume upon my return. But, instead of resuming upon my return, my Best Idea Project collected dust at The Mr.'s apartment. The Mr., gathering his books would say, "Aren't you going to work on your quilt?" "Nahh, not today." So there it sat, only a few squares accomplished, for the remainder of the year.

This past fall, I resurrected work on The Quilt! The Mr. loves to watch TV. It amazes me, and probably others, how he manages to keep tabs on so many different shows despite his crazy schedule. But he does. And he likes when I watch said shows with him. So I work on my quilt. And it's coming along, slowly but surely. After receiving a sewing machine for the wedding, I thought I might switch over to using that. I can assure you that sewing a quilt by hand is no fast process. But when I mentioned this grand idea aloud at a family dinner, Mimo, dear grandma and founder of many recipes on this site, shook her head. "If you're making an authentic quilt, you have to sew it by hand." So, honoring Mimo, and the purist quilter she is, I have continued sewing by hand. Plus, it would be pretty difficult to take a sewing machine to the couch, and like I mentioned, The Mr. likes when I watch the shows with him.

I can't promise when I'll be finished, but here's a preview of The Quilt.

A square, pre-assembly:


The color combinations I plan on using:

Goal size: to fit a twin bed. We'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment