Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jersey Baby Headband



Jersey Baby Headband

Makes 1.

So cute, so easy, and such a great way to use up an old t-shirt.  The black text is copied and pasted from the website below.  The bold pink text is my own additions.
Source: Kelli Murray

-An old t-shirt you don’t mind cutting up (or any jersey fabric). I suggest finding a jersey knit with a bit more “give”. It’s a little harder to handle, but will make for a more comfy fit on your baby’s head.
-a needle and some thread
-fabric scissors
-hot glue gun (not a necessity)

Measure your baby’s head. Cut a strip of fabric that is just barely shorter than her head circumference, since the fabric will stretch. (I cut a long strip of fabric and then trimmed it down after fitting it around her head.)  The width is up to you. I cut mine at about 2 1/2″ wide. (I wouldn't go any thinner.  As it stretches around the head and scrunches together, it looks much thinner, as you can see in the photo above.)  And no need to make it perfect! The fabric edges roll and can easily be tucked under when the headband is worn.

Thread your needle and overlap your fabric ends. Sew them together with a loose stitch.

Cinch the fabric tight and knot it at the end. Creating a secure gathered center.

Cut out a handful of circles ranging from 3″ being your largest to 1″ being your smallest. I found that 8 worked well. (Next time, I will make the smallest circle about 1/2" and go up from there.)

Stack the circles on top of one anther beginning with the largest and ending with the smallest.


Take your needle and thread through the center of your circle stack a few times. Pinch the circles together from the bottom so they appear to form a flower bud. Then thread through the bottom (as many times as you want) until you feel like the bud looks right. There was no specific method to my stitching.  (This was slightly more difficult than I imagined.  I don't have much advice... just make as many crazy stitches as you need to make it look bud-like.  If you compare my photos to the original poster's, you'll notice I wasn't able to get mine quite as tight while still looking proportionate.)

Now all you have to do is use your glue gun to secure the bud onto the headband (in the center of the “cinch”). Or, if you don’t have a glue gun, you can always just hand stitch the bud to the band as well. (I just stitched it.  Must easier, in my opinion, since I already had the needle and thread out.)  And there you have it.



No comments:

Post a Comment