Friday, July 24, 2009

Bar Symon


Bar Symon
32858 Walker Road
Avon Lake, Ohio
440.933.5652
http://www.barsymon.com/

What I drank:
1 glass of Pinot Grigio, $6 (forget exact brand, but it's the only pinot grigio by the glass)
1 glass of Riondo Pink Prosecco Raboso, $6

What I ate:
Crispy Fried Organic Chicken; truffle honey and rosemary, $15
Lola Fries with Rosemary

Iron Chef and Clevelander, Michael Symon, has had such success with restaurants Lola and Lolita that I was excited to try out his new, more casual dining spot, Bar Symon. I was floored by how packed the place was on a weeknight at 6pm, and will know to expect a wait on return visits. Or at least wait until the initial rush of patrons dies down (doors opened on June 29).

I probably should've ordered beer (they have 40 on tap), but the bar was packed and I felt like I needed to order fast. I'll be ready with a brew order next time. The Pinot Grigio was standard and tasty, and the Riondo Pink Prosecco was served in a cute mini bottle that you could pour yourself. Confession: I like proseccco, but I think the main reason I ordered it was because I liked the look of the little bottle.

After ordering entrees, we were given what they called "tear and share" bread. Basically, a crusty loaf of italian bread to be "torn" and "shared" amongst the table. The butter slab, topped with salt, that was served with the bread tasted like it had to have been local - so fresh!
I don't think I've ever ordered fried chicken at a restaurant, but the truffle honey and rosemary is what sold me. Not only was it was good, but I was given about a whole chicken! Four huge pieces that would've been a lot for even the biggest appetite. Tasted kinda like a gourmet version of McD's nuggets and honey.

(Thanks for the pictures Heidi!)

With all the entrees, you are given the choice of one side. I picked fries, because, let's be honest, they are typically a good choice. Lola Fries are thin, shoestring-style french fries flavored with rosemary. They are served with "Lola Ketchup," which doesn't really taste like ketchup at all. They should call it "Lola Salsa." I asked for some "regular" ketchup though, and my tummy was pleased. Symon Burger ($9) with Lola Fries:


I was also able to sneak a taste of the Rosemary, Goat Cheese, and Chicken Mac and Cheese ($14). Yum! A rich, creamy white sauce with lots of flavor. Upon return, I'd consider ordering this.

The service was not that great. Servers seemed a little frazzled, there were a few mix-ups (granted, we had a large table), and things moved s l o w l y. I'll chalk it up to up to the fact that the place is still new, and I suppose it is called BAR Symon and then maybe superb service shouldn't really be expected. I'd hope things would run a little smoother next time though.
Bar Symon takes classic favorites that you might not consider ordering at a restaurant and jazzes them up to be Michael Symon worthy. For the cost, I think it's a great option. You're basically getting Max and Erma's prices for Michael Symon's meals. Now, the question is, are you willing to wait a few hours for a table?

No comments:

Post a Comment