Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tremont Tap House

Tremont TapHouse
2572 Scranton Road
Cleveland, Ohio
216.298.4451

What we drank:
The Little Lady had...
Duvel Green Belgian Ale, $7.5 ($6 happy hour)
Ommegang Rare Vos Belgium Ale, $5.50
The Mr. had...
Weinstephaner Hefe Weissbier, $5.5 ($4 happy hour)
Bear Republic Racer 5, $5.50

What we ate:
I Love Moule Frittes; PEI Mussels & Fries, Blue Cheese, Bacon, Shallots, Garlic, Vino Blanc, $12

The Little Lady had...
Chicken Foccacia; banana pepper butter, white cheddar, $10

The Mr. had...
Japanese Noodle Salad; chicken, sake vinaigrette, peanut sauce, ginger, $12

For a Friday night dinner date, The Mr. and I headed down to Tremont. Boosting itself as Cleveland's first gastropub, The Tremont TapHouse is modeled after casual London pubs that serve upscale cuisine, while still offering a wide variety of beers and wines. There are over 100 beers to choose from (24 of which are on tap) and the food is described as "creative, yet approachable cuisine." It was a beautiful night, so we were willing to wait a bit for a patio table. Since happy hour prices were available until 7pm, we sat at the bar and enjoyed a beer while we waited. The bartenders were extra friendly and one even took the time to get another bar chair from across the room so that we could both sit. Our table was ready quicker than we thought, and we headed out where each table had an umbrella to block the bright setting sun... especially convenient since I had forgotten my sunglasses!

One of the reasons we went was so that The Mr. could try the beer cheese soup, but upon hearing our server's recommendations (I love when servers have an opinion about the menu!), he asked me if instead of the soup, the two of us should split the mussels! I was shocked! The Mr. does not typically like shellfish. I eat just about anything, and I had never had mussels, so I was up for it too. Bring on the mussels!

I liked it a lot... the bacon and blue cheese... mmm...The Mr. didn't eat quite as many mussels, but I was pleased that he was breaking out of his shell (pun intended).
We ordered a second round of beers, as well as our entree selections.

The LL's Chicken Focaccia:
The Mr.'s Japanese Noodle Salad:

My chicken sandwich was average. It tasted like something I could get anywhere. It was good, but I probably wouldn't recommend unless you're looking for something basic... and messy, because it was. The fries were good, and generously flavored with sea salt. I love salty fries.

The Mr.'s dish was tasty. He let me steal a few bites and it was great! Lots of flavor in a light, but satisfying meal. I loved the roasted peanuts and scallions on top.

I was very impressed with the service. The bartenders were friendly and accommodating and our server was great at making recommendations. It was obvious that he was knowledgable about the food and beverage selections. He was attentive to our needs, and overall, just a nice, fun guy.

I would definitely return to Tremont TapHouse, and next time I would like to order a few things off the small plates section of the menu: possibly Chorizo Tacos, Short Rib Sliders, or Blackened Scallops. I also saw signs advertising Beer Tasting Dinners that they host -- sounds like fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment