Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Beer Mac & Cheese


Beer Mac & Cheese

Serves 2.

I originally saw this while browsing the blogging world: http://scrumptini.blogspot.com/ and knew that I had to make it. It just sounded too good to pass up! After adjusting the amounts to make for a smaller batch, and personalizing a bit to make it my own, I came up with the following recipe. The Mr. LOVED this, and I really enjoyed it too. In fact, I had to adjust measurements again because I hadn't made it enough! The measurements I'm posting should allow for heartier portions.

1-1/2 T. butter
1-1/2 T. flour
3/4 c. milk (preferably not skim)
3/4 c. beer (I used Red Stripe, but I think anything would work)
2-1/2 c. shredded cheese, your pick (I used cheddar and parmesan)
1-1/2 c. dried macaroni noodles (or approximately 7-8 oz.)
1/3 c. onion, diced
1 T. hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cook macaroni in salted water, according to directions on the box. Do not overcook.

While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan and mix in flour. Add milk, cook until bubbling. Add beer, cook until bubbling. Cover partially and cook about 10 minutes more.

During this time, the pasta will most likely have completed it's cooking time. Drain pasta and return to its pot, immediately mixing in diced onion with hot noodles.

Back to the cheese sauce -- After the 10 minutes, add shredded cheese, stirring frequently until completed melted and smooth. Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper.

Add pasta and onions to cheese sauce, and stir to cover completely. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 35 minutes.

A Note From The Little Lady: By request of The Mr., I baked this covered, as to prevent any crunchy top noodles. If you prefer the browned top of a baked mac & cheese, by all means bake it uncovered. I enjoy those crunchy top noodles, and easily claimed the edges in hopes of getting the same thing. It worked for me. So if you're split down the middle, bake it covered and let one eat the middle, and the other eat the edges. :)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious! I'll have to save it to make for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete