Friday, September 25, 2009

Garlic and Ham Vegetable Saute

Garlic and Ham Vegetable Saute

Serves 2-3.

This was one of those things that was invented based on what I had hibernating in my refrigerator and freezer. We had some deli ham that was relishing in its last days, and some frozen veggies that I was starting to fear would accrue freezer burn if I didn't use them soon. Abracadabra -- a new vegetable side! I loved it, The Mr. loved it (as in, it was the first thing gone off his plate); it was a huge success. Here I thought I was cleaning out my fridge and freezer, and it turns out that we now have a new favorite veggie side dish!

1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (use fresh if you have them!)
5 slices deli ham, diced (you could also use bacon or prosciutto)
1/3 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. butter, divided
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large, high-sided saute pan, melt 1 T. butter over medium heat. Add ham, onion, and garlic; increase heat to medium-high and saute until onions are tender and ham has crisped a bit. Add veggies and cook/heat through. Add the other T. of butter, and toss veggies as butter melts to allow it to evenly distribute. Sprinkle with cheese, allow to melt. Serve and enjoy!

A Note From The LL: If you want to save time while still using fresh veggies, buy a bag of the stir fry veggie mix in the produce section. While I always prefer fresh over frozen (and actually very rarely rely on frozen), I must admit that this worked extremely well with frozen veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment