Wednesday, March 10, 2010

German Meatballs with Spaetzle, Pierogies, & Onions


German Meatballs with Spaetzle, Pierogies, & Onions

Serves 4-6.

If you read yesterday's post, you saw that it was The Mr.'s birthday. We went out to eat on his birthday night, but because I like to spoil him at home too, I made one of his favorite meals the day before his birthday. The Mr's grandma gets all credit (except for the German meatballs -- those are my addition). Grandma taught me how to make spaetzle, and the family gave me one of their straight-from-Germany spaetzle makers. I was so tickled to receive it.
Now I need a lesson on her homemade pierogies, which are amazing!

German Meatballs:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. fine dry bread crumbs
1 T. snipped fresh parsley
1/2 t. salt
dash ground black pepper
1 lb. ground beef

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Shape into twenty-four 1-1/2" meatballs.
***Some of the meatballs can be frozen at this point, if desired.
Place on a baking sheet that has been coated with non-stick spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Spaetzle:
3 c. all-purpose flour
3 eggs
1 c. water
1 t. salt

Mix together spaetzle ingredients. Let rest for 20 minutes.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill spaetzle maker with batter and press batter into boiling water. Stir so they don't stick and remove from water as soon as they rise to the top. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and let fully drain in a colander. Repeat with spaetzle press until batter is gone.

Pierogies:
I used store-bought potato cheddar; Grandma still needs to teach her techniques on this part

Gravy:
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can water
1 pkg. brown gravy mix
1 c. water

Mix together and heat in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.

Onions:
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 T. butter

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onions and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.

Some action shots to make you drool:



1 comment:

  1. Pierogies are tough to make. I am giving them another whirl on Monday and making a ginormous batch. Why do I torture myself??

    ReplyDelete