Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream Cake

Serves 4-6.

Happy 26th Birthday to The Mr.! When I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dessert, he requested an ice cream cake. When I asked him what flavors, he responded, "Oreo." The thought of going out and buying an ice cream cake disappoints me, because I like to think that a homemade version contains more birthday love. And the nice thing about The Mr. is that he isn't too picky when it comes to sweets. We could celebrate his birthday without said ice cream cake, and he'd probably be fine with it. But me? I wouldn't be. A birthday is NOT a birthday unless a rousing chorus of "Happy Birthday" is sung with lit candles poking out of a birthday dessert. Last year, I made him this, but I wanted to try something new this year. Here's my creation:


Marble Cake:
1/4 c. softened butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cocoa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8" round cake pan. Combine butter and sugar, beat well. Add in milk, egg, and vanilla; beat on medium for 2 minutes. Reserve 3/4 c. batter and stir in cocoa. Pour remaining batter into pan; swirl in spoonfulls of cocoa batter with a knife. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool. Because I wanted a smaller, more proportional cake, I cut an approximate 5" circle from the middle of the cake:

Oreo Fudge Center:
4 Oreo cookies
1/4 c. chocolate fudge

In a food processor, process Oreos until fine crumbs. Remove from food processor and mix in chocolate fudge. Spread on top of cake layer.


Ice cream Layer:
2 c. cookies 'n cream ice cream

Spread on top of chocolate fudge layer:

"Frosting:"
Whipped topping
Sprinkles, if desired

Frost and decorate:

No comments:

Post a Comment