Monday, July 26, 2010

The Mr. Is Actually The Dr.

Although I've still be referring to him as The Mr., he actually became The Dr. earlier this summer.

::::APPLAUSE!!!::::

I've gone back and forth: should he remain The Mr. or morph into The Dr.?? You tell me.

Anyway, in celebration of this grand feat, I planned a party. This party originally began as plans for an all-out bash; one with many invites, many celebratory drinks, and a large crowd of The Mr./Dr.'s friends and family.

But as the life of a first-year resident would demand, available weekends grew slim, and the one Saturday I had my eye on looked good... until we found out he had to work a 24-hour shift the next day, starting at 7am on Sunday. A sharp pin then deflated my bubble.

As I've been learning the ropes of being "a doctor's wife," I've often told myself that I will go with the flow (which can be awfully challenging for a planner like me). So I forged ahead with the party, and simply cut the guest list down to family, reset the start time for a few hours earlier, and let our families know that the end time would be fairly early as well.

***You'll find the recipes for noted items in this week's later posts.

We were ready to party.

We were ready to grill.

The drinks:
***Citrus Punch - Spiked and Virgin
Beer - Sam Adams, Land Shark, Pacifico, Bud Light, Coors Light
Wine - Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonny, Pinot Noir
Assorted pops
Bottled water

Citrus Punch:


The snacks:
***Chesapeake Bay Snack Mix


French Onion Dip, served with potato chips, Bugles corn chips (a family tradition started my great-grandmother), and carrots.


Forgot to photo: Mexican 7 Layer Dip with tortilla chips (thanks to the Mr./Dr.'s sister and her fiancé)

Circus Peanuts (a family tradition, started by my grandfather, Peppie)


The meal:
***The Perfect Hamburger


Hamburger toppings and condiments:


Cheesy Potatoes (thanks, Mom!)


The Mr./Dr.'s mom makes a great salad:


Fruit salad (again, thanks Mom!)

The desserts:
***Hot Fudge Brownie Dessert with Vanilla Ice Cream


***Key Lime Pie with Pretzel Crust


1 comment: