Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"Hidden" Veggie Pasta Bake


"Hidden" Veggie Pasta Bake

Serves 2-3

I say "hidden" because to The Mr., they weren't hidden well enough. He prefers the standard red sauce, meat, and pasta, while I, on the other hand, liked the addition of the wholesome veggie taste. When I make this again, I'll cut back on the amount of zucchini and eliminate the squash all together, as I think it was the guilty party in the skewed taste.

7 oz. medium pasta shells (half box)
1 T. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 medium zucchini (next time, I'll use one small zucchini)
1 small crookneck squash (next time, I'll eliminate this)
1 jar pasta sauce
4 oz. (1/2 c.) shredded cheese, your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook pasta according to the directions on the box.
In a skillet, heat olive oil, garlic, and onion. Add ground beef and cook through.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop zucchini and squash and add to food processor. Pulse until smooth. Drain any excess liquid.
In a large bowl, combine zucchini/squash and pasta sauce. Mix well. Add drained pasta, ground beef mixture, and half of the shredded cheese.
Transfer to baking dish (8x8 or deep circular cake pan), top with remaining cheese, and bake for 30 minutes. I cover with foil to avoid the tough noodles that sometimes occur in baked dishes.


A Note From The Little Lady: As an easy make-ahead meal, once you've topped with the remaining cheese, cover with foil and refrigerate. Increase baking time to 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment