Monday, November 9, 2009

Slow Cooker Sirloin Tip Roast


Slow Cooker Sirloin Tip Roast

Serves 2.

Crock pots can be wonderful time saving tools. They can also be kind of tricky. Soups and stews I've mastered. Pulled BBQ meats I can do. It's the roasts that always throw me for a loop. I toss it in before I leave for work, but all through the day I'm wondering, "Will it work? Or should I start looking for pizza coupons?" THIS one, my friends, was a success. It smelled great when I walked through the door; the meat was tender and flavorful, and we also had a wonderful gravy without any additional work. Pair this with mashed potatoes and you've got an easy meal for a cold night.

Recipe adapted from Fix It and Forget It cookbook.

2-lb. sirloin tip roast
meat rub
all-purpose flour
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1 bottle of beer (preferably a full-flavored beer; I used Red Stripe)
1 clove garlic, minced

Coat roast with meat rub, and then follow with flour. Place in slow cooker
In a bowl, combine dry onion soup mix, brown gravy mix, beer, and garlic. Pour over roast.
Cover. Cook on low 7-9 hours.

A Note From The Little Lady: You might be thinking that a 2-lb. roast sounds like a heck of a lot for two people. Keep in mind that the roast cooks down in size over the time it's in the crock pot. Chances are you'll have a helping of leftovers, but I know we were surprised at how much we ate despite feeling like we didn't eat that much. If that makes sense...

Another note: The original recipe calls for ginger ale instead of beer. We didn't have any ginger ale, and I almost substitued Diet Coke, because I know cola roasts are prevalent. I've read, though, that you shouldn't use Diet (I'm not sure why?) so I figured beer would make a good substitute. Considering how much we liked this, I don't think I'll use anything but beer going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment