Monday, November 30, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole



Sweet Potato Casserole

Serves 12.

Whether she remembers it or not, I received this recipe from Jessi of To Kiss The Cook back when we were sorority sisters at Miami University. She brought it to a family gathering of another KKG we were attending; I loved it; went home with the recipe; have been enjoying it ever since. Thanks Jessi!
My only changes involve reducing the amount of butter, not in an attempt to "healthify" the recipe, but because it seemed to turn out a little too soupy.

I contributed this casserole to the Thanksgiving spread this year. As it was my first Thanksgiving with The Mr.'s side of the family, I was less than enthusiastic to whip out my camera at the dinner table. I had to sacrifice the blog and keep my camera tucked away, but trust me when I say that it's fantastic. Everyone loved it!


7 sweet potatoes or yams (I used 5 huge ones)
1/2 stick butter
1 egg
1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4-1/2 stick cold butter
sliced almonds, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prick potatoes with a fork a few times each and boil them (with skin) for about 45 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Drain and place potatoes on a plate until they are cool enough to touch; peel the skin off with your hands. Add the peeled potatoes to a large mixing bowl along with the other casserole ingredients and blend with a hand mixer on high until the mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a casserole dish (ideally glass or ceramic) that has been coated with non-stick spray.

In a separate bowl, prepare topping by combining sugar and flour, and then cutting in the cold butter. It should be a chunky streusel topping. Sprinkle on top of the sweet potatoes.

Bake for 30 minutes, 45 if you have prepared ahead of time and refrigerated.

A Note From The Little Lady: Upon first reading the recipe, I was hesitant to boil the potatoes whole, with skins. I was unfamiliar with that method, and instead went through the traditional work of peeling, chopping, and boiling in smaller chunks. Believe me when I say that the method of boiling with skins works and it's actually just as easy as it sounds. The skins pretty much slide right off. I'm not sure if sweet potato skins are thicker to begin with, or if this would work with regular potatoes too -- anyone know?

3 comments:

  1. yeah, we always boil the potatoes whole (when we make mashed potatoes). it's so easy/awesome! :D erik actually taught me that trick! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You learn something new every day. Thanks Jacqui!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you remember this from Easter at Molly's! Great call on reducing the butter- I tend to vary the amount of sweet potatoes I'm using while only slightly adjusting everything else. This makes me a terrible recipe writer but this a very forgiving recipe. Love that other houses are getting into it!

    ReplyDelete